"I honestly know what he's talking about because it makes me feel TERRIBLE when I hear bands that people will potentially categorize with/compare to snowing and they have fucking lame lyrics/call people fags, etc. it's not right or cool and should not be taken lightly, because, fuck, why would it be? believe it or not, what we engage in is a form of punk, and punk is all about being part of a radical community. unfortunately, radical ideas in the world right now aren't really radical at all. it's more, "I'm a person that knows right from wrong." calling someone a faggot is wrong. writing songs that are derogatory towards women is wrong. thinking it's okay and fun and, "man, you're too serious", is fucking wrong.
the guys in chalk talk are super nice dudes. the few times we've met, I've been really impressed by them as people, but the song "misquamicut has bigger waves though" really puts a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, you can tell me I'm taking lines like, "statutory rape you'll never forget" out of context, but when I hear a song by a band, I shouldn't have to think about that. when I listen to that song, I think "chalk talk are fucking degrading assholes and I don't understand how anyone can support them." now, I don't think that, but having met them, I know why not to. for people like me who have heard that song but will never meet chalk talk, they instantly lost a listener.
now, I'm not trying to blacklist chalk talk, but it's the illegitimate treatment of such issues that allow bands like daijel white to write songs called, "hot chicks; fat tits". listen to it on their myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/daijelwhite
if you don't see an issue there, you're either choosing not to see it or you're an idiot and I hope you don't like my band. honestly, we're playing with them in two weeks, and that just makes me uncomfortable. I'd drop the show if I knew people weren't going to see snowing.
welp, this is long winded. I got into punk because I didn't fit in with bro assholes and found a community where I felt safe to be myself. being a sexist dick excludes women. calling people homophobic names excludes gays/lesbians. we all apparently care about this whole "scene" we've all helped create, so we need to do our best to teach those who don't understand these problems why they are issues and how it's hurting the cause. I hope that we can eradicate these hateful ideas and create a stronger community because of it. "
the guys in chalk talk are super nice dudes. the few times we've met, I've been really impressed by them as people, but the song "misquamicut has bigger waves though" really puts a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, you can tell me I'm taking lines like, "statutory rape you'll never forget" out of context, but when I hear a song by a band, I shouldn't have to think about that. when I listen to that song, I think "chalk talk are fucking degrading assholes and I don't understand how anyone can support them." now, I don't think that, but having met them, I know why not to. for people like me who have heard that song but will never meet chalk talk, they instantly lost a listener.
now, I'm not trying to blacklist chalk talk, but it's the illegitimate treatment of such issues that allow bands like daijel white to write songs called, "hot chicks; fat tits". listen to it on their myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/daijelwhite
if you don't see an issue there, you're either choosing not to see it or you're an idiot and I hope you don't like my band. honestly, we're playing with them in two weeks, and that just makes me uncomfortable. I'd drop the show if I knew people weren't going to see snowing.
welp, this is long winded. I got into punk because I didn't fit in with bro assholes and found a community where I felt safe to be myself. being a sexist dick excludes women. calling people homophobic names excludes gays/lesbians. we all apparently care about this whole "scene" we've all helped create, so we need to do our best to teach those who don't understand these problems why they are issues and how it's hurting the cause. I hope that we can eradicate these hateful ideas and create a stronger community because of it. "
No comments:
Post a Comment