I started listening to Chalk Talk by default because the drummer of the band was a friend i had grown up with. Our first tour together in June of 2009 opened my eyes to what they were really about. Since then we have played countless shows, met tons of people, and seen amazing new places. Their first major release is called " the food chain" and i know all the songs inside and out after hearing them played a couple hundred times and spending time in the studio with them. At first the songs to me were like a joke. Simple and about "stupid" things. But the more i listen the more i realize how good this record is. I know the band likes to categorize themselves as "surf" but i think they are wrong to do so. The songs aren't about the shore or any of that surf trend bullshit but instead they are songs that everyone can relate to in a lighthearted way. Everyday moments that most people experience but never notice are captured in these songs. Sexual frustrations that everyone has and laughs about are layed out on the table and openly talked about. Small decisions and little things you notice every single day are all talked about in this album. There has never been a Chalk Talk set that i haven't wanted to sing along to at least one song, which is saying alot because i have played with those motherfuckers more times than i care to count. I decided to write this first album review as a way to clear my head. I think this band has something great that is their own creation and i don't want to see them fall into the reverb drentched pits of the pompus beachy surf bands that sadly rule most of the music scene. I don't like happy music, it usually makes me sick but this band i have grown to love.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
The Food Chain
I started listening to Chalk Talk by default because the drummer of the band was a friend i had grown up with. Our first tour together in June of 2009 opened my eyes to what they were really about. Since then we have played countless shows, met tons of people, and seen amazing new places. Their first major release is called " the food chain" and i know all the songs inside and out after hearing them played a couple hundred times and spending time in the studio with them. At first the songs to me were like a joke. Simple and about "stupid" things. But the more i listen the more i realize how good this record is. I know the band likes to categorize themselves as "surf" but i think they are wrong to do so. The songs aren't about the shore or any of that surf trend bullshit but instead they are songs that everyone can relate to in a lighthearted way. Everyday moments that most people experience but never notice are captured in these songs. Sexual frustrations that everyone has and laughs about are layed out on the table and openly talked about. Small decisions and little things you notice every single day are all talked about in this album. There has never been a Chalk Talk set that i haven't wanted to sing along to at least one song, which is saying alot because i have played with those motherfuckers more times than i care to count. I decided to write this first album review as a way to clear my head. I think this band has something great that is their own creation and i don't want to see them fall into the reverb drentched pits of the pompus beachy surf bands that sadly rule most of the music scene. I don't like happy music, it usually makes me sick but this band i have grown to love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment